History of the Institute

The teaching of ethnology at Jagiellonian University began in 1851 when Wincenty Pol, Professor of Geography and author of many valuable ethnographic publications, initiated the first lectures on general ethnography in Poland. In 1926, the Department of Slavic Ethnography was established as part of the Slavic Studies Division at Jagiellonian University under the supervision of Professor Kazimierz Moszyński. However, the unit was disbanded in 1936, after Moszyński left Poland for Vilnius. The Department of Slavic Ethnography was reactivated after World War II, again under the supervision of Professor Moszyński. In 1950, the department was incorporated into the newly opened Division of Material Culture History in the Faculty of Philosophy and History. The department became an independent unit in 1956.

Following the death of Kazimierz Moszyński in 1959, the Department of Slavic Ethnography was directed by:

  • profesor Mieczysław Gładysz (1960-1973)
  • profesor Jadwiga Klimaszewska (1973-1980)
  • profesor Anna Zambrzycka-Kunachowicz (1981-1987)
  • profesor Leszek Dzięgiel (1987-1999)

In 1995, the Department of Slavic Ethnography was replaced by the Institute of Ethnology, later renamed the Institute of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology. Subsequent Directors of the institute comprised:

  • profesor Czesław Robotycki (1999-2008)
  • profesor Zbigniew Libera (2008-2012)

At the beginning of the 2012/2013 academic year, the post of Director was given to Dr Hab. Marcin Brocki.